If you’re experiencing discomfort, pain, or swelling in the back of your mouth, it may be time to consider wisdom teeth removal. While wisdom teeth removal can seem daunting, it is a common and routine procedure that can be performed by experienced oral surgeons at Implants Northwest in Idaho.
Why is Wisdom Teeth Removal Necessary?
Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the last set of teeth to emerge in the mouth, usually between the ages of 17 and 25. In many cases, there is simply not enough room in the mouth for these teeth to grow in properly, leading to a number of issues, including:
- Impacted teeth: When wisdom teeth do not fully emerge or emerge at an angle, they can become impacted, leading to pain, infection, and damage to neighboring teeth.
- Overcrowding: Wisdom teeth can push against other teeth, causing misalignment and crowding.
- Gum disease: Wisdom teeth can make it difficult to properly clean the back of the mouth, leading to gum disease and other oral health issues.
What is the Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure?
At Implants Northwest, our experienced oral surgeons use advanced techniques and equipment to make wisdom teeth removal a safe and comfortable experience. The procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia or IV sedation, depending on the patient’s needs.
During the procedure, the oral surgeon will make an incision in the gum tissue to access the tooth and surrounding bone. The tooth may need to be sectioned into smaller pieces to facilitate removal. Once the tooth is removed, the incision is closed with sutures.
After wisdom teeth removal, it is important to follow your oral surgeon’s instructions for a smooth and speedy recovery. Here are some tips to help you recover:
- Rest for the first few days after surgery
- Apply ice packs to the affected area to reduce swelling
- Eat soft foods and drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid using straws, smoking, or drinking alcohol for the first few days after surgery
- Keep the mouth clean by gently rinsing with saltwater
Why Choose Implants Northwest?
At Implants Northwest, we are dedicated to providing the highest quality care to our patients. Our experienced team of oral surgeons uses state-of-the-art technology and techniques to ensure the best possible outcomes for every patient. If you are in need of wisdom teeth removal or other oral surgery services, contact us to schedule a consultation.